Air and Water act a lot alike. Today we are going to create a tornado with water in a bottle. We have two variations of this: One Bottle version and Two Bottle version.
This is a very simple science project to get the brain juices “flowing” (pun most definitely intended). Let’s start with the simpler One Bottle version.
Tornado In A Bottle – One Bottle Version
- 1 – 2 litter bottle (doesn’t matter what kind of soda is in it, but you should probably drink it before beginning the experiment, but not all at once)
- A little Dish Soap
- Glitter or small pieces of cut up paper
- And some water
- Optional – food coloring to color the water
- Fill the Bottle about 3/4 full with water
- Add about 3 or 4 drops of dish soap
- Add about a table spoon of glitter or small pieces of paper
- Tighten cap to the bottle
- Hold the bottle by the lid with the bottom up and spin vigorously in a circular motion for about 30 seconds
- And Stop! – Now watch as this motion has created a tornado-like effect inside the bottle
Tornado In A Bottle – Two Bottle Version
- 2 – 2 Liter Soda Bottles
- Two Part Epoxy
- A little dish soap
- Glitter or small pieces of cut up paper (use colored paper, it’s more fun)
- And some water
- Optional - food coloring to color the water
- Follow steps 1-3 in the previous version
- Here’s where it gets tricky. You can buy a pre-made tube OR
- We need to caps from the two soda bottles. We are going to meld them together. Take the two part epoxy and glue the tops of the caps together. Make sure they are centered with each other. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Drill out or carve out the a hole in the center approx. 1/2″ to 3/4″ in diameter
- Screw the double cap on the bottle filled with water
- Then screw the bottle on the other side of the cap (don’t tip the full bottle over. I don’t like to see large messes unless it’s apart of the experiment)
- Give it a little spin with the full bottle on top (may take some practice to get the best result) and set it on the table with the empty side down.
Watch as the tornado forms and see the glitter or paper spin out of control!!!
Try something else. Fill the empty bottle with smoke then screw it to the rest. It’s a great effect.
Check out the Science behind it here.